I live 3.5 hours from the beach town of Galveston, TX. I’ve always been told that this beach is the worst and to not go. But I wanted to go on a last minute memorial weekend and the beach sounded nice, so we went. Let me tell you, I LOVED it! There is so much to do and it’s super affordable. Yes the water is brownish (from the sediment coming off the Mississippi River that drains into the gulf) but the water is bath water warm!
Here’s my guide to a quick weekend in Galveston:
- Walk the seawall. There are 32 miles of beach on Galveston Island. You can stop and relax on the beach while you walk, stop in the cute beach stores or stop at a restaurant!
- Go to Stewart Beach ($15 parking) and rent beach chairs and an umbrella ($35 for the full day rental).
- Drive around historic Galveston to see Bishops Palace, Moody Mansion, Sacred Hearts Church and more.
- Have a photo shoot in front of all the colorful beach houses
- Drive around the island and see all the beautiful colonial homes
- Go to Moody Gardens
- Drive around Tiki Island to see the million dollar homes and fun lawn art!
- Ride the rides on Pleasure Pier ($27 for all day pass or $10 to just walk on the pier)
- Schlitterbahn Waterpark
- Ride the free ferry
- Shop at the Strand
- Sit on the porch rocking chairs at Murdoch’s
- Explore the harbor and go on a dolphin tour ($10 a person for a 1 hour tour)
- Go to the town square and take a picture in front of the Galveston mural and on the giant beach chair
Places to Eat:
- Fisherman’s Warf
- The Spot
- La Kings Confectionary (fresh salt water taffey and coffee shop)
- Mod Coffee shop (they have candy bar lattes)
- Hey Mikey’s ice cream
- The Sunflower Bakery & Cafe (good for brunch)
- Mama Teresa’s pizza
- Mosquito Cafe
- Little Daddy’s Gumbo Bar
- San Luis Streakhouse ($$$$)
(there are SO many good and affordable food options in Galveston!)
I was shocked to see everything you can do in Galveston. So if you are closer to Galveston than another beach, I would say give it a shot and tell me how you liked it!
Remember to follow me on Instagram at @lifeofthepilotswife and on Pinterest at Life of the Pilot’s Wife